Friday, 13 February 2015

protect ur girls // notes on positive female friendship

So, I don’t know if you were aware, but today was Galentine’s day, a day to celebrate your gal pals. And I thought after Bea talked about toxicity last week, we should get onto the good stuff. 

Now, I go on a about this a lot, but I am kinda obsessed with the power and loveliness of female friendship. Yes, I am generalising a wee bit, but I really feel that girls in their teens and early twenties create really wonderful relationships with each other. 

In a patriarchal society, prioritising and celebrating you really fantastic girl pals is almost a subtle act of rebellion. As I’ve started to think more about my subjective feminism, I’ve started to think more about sticking up for girls. We’ve got a lot to fight: rape culture, male entitlement, a nice big pay gap - we’re all in it together.There’s a power in that. Protect your girls, look after your girls, stick with your girls

You know when girls smile at each other in the bathrooms and lend each other lip balm and buy each other coffee. When they tell each other they look nice and provide support. When they tell each other stories and take selfies together and each lunch talking about their childhoods. There’s a power in that. Protect your girls, look after your girls, stick with your girls

Got a girl gang? It’s made of steel. Don’t have one? Don’t worry, positive wonderful girls are everywhere.There’s a power in that.  Protect your girls, look after your girls, stick with your girls

Now, my positive girl gang vibes are pretty (?) good, the only thing I that I need to cut down on is the shade. Girl hate manifests itself everywhere, in tabloid magazines and on TV, girls are judging and picking each other apart, I’m trying to try harder. Trying to not contribute to that. There’s a power in that.  Protect your girls, look after your girls, stick with your girls.  

Bella xx 

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think media/society in general is always trying to pitch girls against each other, wanting them to compete to look better than the other or just BE better than the other etc. etc. But I think it's so awesome that so many girls know this gets you absolutely nowhere. If we're all looking out for each other and giving each other a leg-up when it's needed then why can't we ALL be the best?
    xx Erin
    The Halfway Point

    ReplyDelete
  3. i couldn't agree more, it's so hard but so amazing to finally realize that girls need to stick together, that we can only get through everything together. there's space in this world for all of us to be smart and creative and cool and beautiful and we don't have to fight each other to claim it.

    // kani

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wasn't aware of that day, but I really enjoyed this post, definitely agree, female friendships are definitely the strongest thing ever.:)
    ♡ blog ♡

    ReplyDelete