Saturday, 25 April 2015

don't eat your greens // eating what feels good

PHOTO BY MEHDI LACOSTE
I've made the jump recently to vegetarianism and I feel bloody fantastic. Now, don't you worry your pretty little mind, this isn't an aggressive 'join the vegetarian cult' post, no no no. This is a 'find what feels good blogpost. 
Now I guess you could say it's a bit obvious, and I feel a bit obvious talking about it. But here's the thing, it's not being talked about enough, the attitude is flawed, it's not good. So today, I'm going to blatantly talk about the bleeding obvious - eating to feel good, for you and only you. 

Food is fucking beautiful, no doubt. The first bite of an apple, sticking your hand into a bag of lentils at a market, tea and cake with your mates - all special moments. Food deserves a special place in our lives, especially from a position of body positivity and good vibes and all that jazz. For me, thinking carefully about the food I eat is something that makes me feel good. 

In terms of making your own personal diet work for you, and I'm not talking fad-juice fast type- diet, I'm just talking the food you put in your body...it's entirely subjective. There's not much, or anything, I can say about the food that will make you feel like your walking in the light and your joyful and all is wonderful...because that's different for us all. 

What I can talk about without sounding like a condescending, all knowing ass is: my own diet and the harmful or bias factors that may influence the way we eat. 

Personally, there's a couple of things that I try to take into account when I eat. High up on my list is trying to eat foods that would fit into the 'green category,' or that I know have a good nutritional value. I also try to keep an eye on my protein and iron levels with the absence of meat in my diet. Coffee and cake with my friends is my ultimate fave and I also have a soft spot for brown rice sushi, taro milk tea and haloumi burgers. 

Now, the way women eat today is influenced by a number of factors. Now let's have a look at our old friend: media body type pressure, which I'm not even going to go into because you know exactly what it is, the media pushing us for a 'perfect body,' blah blah blah. But let's have a look at the closer to home consequences: like the new obsession with a constant healthy diet, and worse of all the guilt and shame surrounding items with a higher sugar or carb count.  Now cake controversy is a big topic of discussion under the body positive umbrella, for absolute sure. Sugar guilt or the 'I really shouldn't' syndrome occurs whenever an insecure woman is faced with a 'cookie or no cookie' decision or something of the like. Now what is this a demonstration of? It's about the hyper-glorification of the healthy diet, which is ok until we get the shaming of all fattening food and thus, the assimilation of a grey area. Now obesity and health disease is a problem no doubt and I'm not going into that, all I'll say is that a negative emotion such as guilt..that's not helping anyone. What ever you want to live on, there's gotta be room for movement. Come on guys! No need to feel guilty! Cookies are delicious! 

I learn more about food every day. Theres layers of complexity surrounding huge companies that can make money out of feeding us food with addictive properties, the meat industry and so much more. I think it's important for us to remember that this is our body, and we should think about how we treat it. For some people that means living off cake, for others it means living off kale, maybe a lil' bitta both. Survey the evidence, give it more thought, find what feels good. 

Stay well, 
Bella Sucks 


2 comments:

  1. Hello dear, I totally agree with you! I'm mostly vegetarian verging on vegan but I'm not a radical. I try to eat healthy that's all :-) Baci,
    Coco et La vie en rose fashion blog - Valeria Arizzi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking about this all a lot recently too! (I've also just begun to transition into vegetarianism, although only no red meat at the moment. Slow and steady right?) Anyway, I really hate the way that women especially, feel like they need to justify eating something that isn't classed as "healthy" before they can eat it. You see it all the time, the "oh I've not had cake in a while so I'll just have this slice", "it's been a bad day I think I deserve this cookie". WHY DO WE DO THIS??? How about "This piece of cake looks absolutely delicious and I bet it tastes delicious too, I'm going to eat it." Don't apologise for what you do or don't eat. I'm of the opinion that sometimes we eat for our body and sometimes we eat for our soul, and you can't neglect either one.

    x Erin

    ReplyDelete